10 tips on how to be an office recycle champion!
These days everyone wants to be environmentally friendly, which is a good thing. But a lot of people don’t know where to start, especially in an office environment.
It can be very easy, doesn’t take much time at all and every little bits helps. We have put together a list of paper and printing related tips that everyone can implement straight away.
1. Use both sides of paper: Set your photocopier to use both sides. Also, re-use one side printed sheets in your printer by turning them over and print on the blank side.
2. Shred and re-use paper: Why throw away old documents or print outs when they can be shredded and used as packing material?!
3. Re-use (cardboard) boxes: When you receive an order and the box arrives in good knick, keep it. You can always use it to send things out again or as a storage box.
4. Other paper recycling: shredded paper can be used as packing material or if you are a larger business get it collected by a recycling company. Some animal charities use shredded paper, but check first if they can use it.
5. Avoid colour printing: Print in black and white as much as you can to save on coloured ink/toner.
6. Print in ‘toner save’ mode: This setting reduces the amount of toner used, therefore reducing the toner costs.
7. Consider recycled paper: For in house printing consider recycled paper made from post consumer waste or other forms of environmental friendly paper.
8. Order recycled toner and ink: Buying recycled toners and inks means less metal and plastic end up in landfills.
9. Distribute memos etc via email: Let your employees, customers etc decide if a print out is necessary.
10. Use online storage facilities for manuals, policies and other documents: This way anyone needing access to these Word or PDF files can do so at their own leisure.
Use these tips to review your office and printing supplies policy now.